Paula Reads

Everyone always asks me what I am reading right now! This blog is an attempt to answer that question.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani



Although this book club book received many 5 star ratings on Amazon, I did not like it. The story of an Iranian rugmaker set in the 17th century is beautifully written and the setting is laid out well. As a woman, the narrator's options were severally limited. Although talented at rug weaving, she is forced into a temporary marriage contract. I loved the character and her transformation into an adult, but I did not like the overt sexuality. In fact, I got so sick of it!! Could she be ravished one more time??? I listened to the book on audio and wonder if this was the cause of my issues. While reading, you can skip or skim parts that you don't really want to read, but when it is on tape, you have to hear it!! I got sick of it.

There were some good discussion points to the book, but I can't recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home